Saturday, January 7, 2012

Sick!!!!!!!

A couple weeks ago, the kids got sick. 
Just tummy ache type.
They lay on the couch all day, drinking ginger ale, listening to Odysseys, and watching old shows. 
Jo and I both envied them. 
When was the last time we sat around for a whole day?
When was the last time we got to watch Hogan's Heroes in the middle of the day?
So... we did a stupid thing. 
We said, " I wish I could get sick for a day."
People! Be careful what you wish for.

Peter got sick again the other day.
This time it was the spewing (That is going to be my polite way to say "throwing up") type. 
I was at work when he first spewed. 
Marian and Jimmy both told me ALL about it over the phone.
Then I came home and was told a couple more times even more descriptively.
Each time it was told it got more... uh, "colorful?"

Because he loves us all so much. Peter decided to share this great flu with the rest of us.
So... We are a bunch of sicko's today. Well, most of us! 

Mom and Johnny got it last night... I thought I was safe. 
This morning, I jumped out of bed ready for the day... that's when I got hit (More like attacked from behind!).
I ended up crawling around on the bathroom floor for the next hour. It wasn't pretty... at ALL!
I try not to dramatize things.... because that is what comes naturally to me.
So, when I was in desperate pain and mom was asking me if I was going to be OK, I answered honestly, "I'm going to die!"

I haven't been sick for three years... truly.
I forgot how much I despised it.

Not only is it painful and yucky.... it's flat out humiliating.
Poor Marian watching me as I sobbed, writhing back and forth in agony on the ground like I was going to die.
She patted my back and prayed out loud for me.... even through the pain of the moment, I couldn't help but be touched.

I think I had it so bad because I haven't been sick in so long... It all added up and slammed me at once.
This week I had four days off, but I had to get sick the one day I was supposed to work.
At Java Bear, you can't just call in sick. If you are scheduled, you have to find someone else to cover it or people die don't get their coffee.
I have an awesome boss...  she took care of it.

Finally.... when I was getting pretty attached to the bathroom floor, the pain stopped. Or at least subsided.

Thankfully, it is a one day flu... I am feeling WAY better!

I spent a couple hours sitting on the couch.
I got a bunch of reading in.
I ate a little and drank some coffee.
Marian and Jo cleaned the house.
We are going to watch a Cary Grant movie.
Marian heated a blanket by the fire and put it on me.
I found time to write a blog.
I guess this sick stuff isn't all bad....
For future reference, I prefer health to living with one foot in the grave.



Doctor: I have some bad news and some very bad news.
Patient: Well, might as well give me the bad news first.
Doctor: The lab called with your test results. They said you have 24 hours to live.
Patient: 24 HOURS! Thats terrible!! WHAT could be WORSE? What's the very bad news?
Doctor: I've been trying to reach you since yesterday.

No comments:

Post a Comment